Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Break Odds and Ends

Spring Break here. The week is flying by. I worked most of it - as in trying out the working mom title. Can't say I'm a big fan of it. I miss my little people. When I walk in the door, Carrie is usually in her high chair in the dining room. As soon as she hears me she starts screaming, "Mama!" "Mama!" And she continues until I come to give her a hug.

It's an interesting balance though. When I'm at work, I really enjoy being there. I like all the little projects and feeling like I'm part of a team accomplishing something important. But I come home tired and there isn't anything more to give. Two different worlds that just won't coexist for me.

I'm ok with that. I do this working thing now because I have the opportunity and the paychecks are certainly helpful. For this season of my life, though, I want to be home with the kids as much as possible anyway. A week of extra days certainly confirmed that decision.

________________________________________

In other spring break news...

Brenna has begun work on her Iroquios Native American project. Her great, great, great, great grandmother was an Iroquios Indian so she chose that tribe to research. It was sweet to hear her on the phone with my Nana, talking about our ancestors.

____

Thursday we took our annual trip to the zoo. The animals were out and pretty active, which made it all the more fun. We laughed at the monkeys and chimps swinging all around. Brenna got scared half to death by a camel that snuck up behind her. One kangaroo was sunning its belly and we, along with the rest of the people walking by, could hardly tell if it was dead or alive. I wish I'd taken a picture because I've never seen one lay on its back with its feet up like that.

By far my favorite part of the zoo trip was watching Brenna feed the birds. For $1 you can purchase a popsicle stick with bird seed on one end. Inside the bird exhibit are lots of small, very colorful birds flying around. If you hold still they will land on your stick and eat the seeds. Brenna absolutely loves to do that and when the bright blue bird landed on her stick, she nearly started to cry. Her little heart can barely hold such joy. She would stay in there all day if I let her.

____

Michael and the kids have visited Maymont park, dyed Easter eggs, grocery shopped, and done laundry. They've played the wii, played soccer, and cooked some yummy meals. Spring Break is winding down for 2011. We'll be sad to see it go and grudgingly adjust back to our normal routines come Monday. sigh.

And we'll start the count down to summer break!





2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like a great week! :)

Brenda said...

I remember taking the girls to Maymont several times when we visited Richmond. Good memories. I enjoy reading about the ones you're making with your family!