Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fixing Lights and Nosy Neighbors

On Sunday as we backed out of the driveway to go to church, following our "it's Open House day scramble", I saw this on the front porch.

Wind damage. I couldn't leave it like that because I didn't want people wondering what else was broken as they walked through the house. So as soon as I got the kids checked in at church, I went to Home Depot in search of a solution. Walking quickly along the length of the store, I crossed paths with a friendly employee who offered to help. I almost gave my usual "no thanks", but I knew I didn't have much time so I gave him the short version of what happened and asked him where they stock the glue. He read the packages and helped me find an epoxy that set quickly and should hold the weight of the light.

Back at home, I was standing on a chair, my gloved hands holding the light in place while I applied copious amounts of epoxy, when I heard, "I don't mean to be nosy, but what are you doing?" Now I already knew this was a stretch. I didn't need anybody watching me. But neighbors are neighbors and I guess he couldn't just stay in his own yard. Or at least offer to help.

"Our light broke and I'm trying to put it back up before our Open House this afternoon." I said and then turned away.

"Well, I don't mean to by nosy, but are you gluing it?" he asked incredulously. "Because you can't glue a light up!"

Struggling to control the embarrassment creeping up my face, I looked down at him and replied, "I know. But it only has to hold until 4 o'clock. The guy at Home Depot thought this might work."

"Oh, well if the guy at Home Depot said so - he probably recommended some pretty strong stuff."

Um, yeah ~ it's not like I was using Elmers.

"Yes, I'm hoping this will work." And I turned away. He didn't.

"Doesn't your husband know how to change those lights out? They're really easy to do."

"Yes, but he's at church right now [He's the music director.] and we don't have time to switch it out. I just need this to hold until 4 o'clock."

Shaking his head he finally walked back to his jeep and drove off. I really think he thought I was gluing a brand new light fixture to the side of the house like an idiot. The glue took longer than the time I had to set solid, so I finally went inside for twine and scissors. I tied it in place and got back to church five minutes before the end of the service.

It's been two whole days and my glue is still holding. Take that, neighbor who doesn't mean to be nosy. :)

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Ha! So there!
Neener, neener, neener. :)
Way to go!