Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Cookie Day

Ever since I was 6 months old my mom and I have made Christmas sugar cookies. When I was little and we lived in Ohio, the neighbor boys would sometimes come over to do the cut outs and help with icing. Mom would set up a kid sized table in the kitchen and put us all to work. When we moved to Virginia the tradition continued. Aprons. Flour. Cookie Cutters. Icing. Cookies. It's a fun day and it means Christmas is almost here.


Brenna was too young her first Christmas (2 months) to join in. She sat in her bouncy seat and watched. Daniel, though, was 6 months old at his and he had his first sugar cookie that day. My mom reasoned that she had given me one at 6 months and she could give Daniel one at 6 months. It didn't have any icing on it and he had to gum it down, but he loved it.


Uncle Stephen (my brother) was around to help out this year. He sat at the kiddie table and decorated lots of cookies with Daniel. I suspect he might have also taught Daniel how to sneak a taste of the icing by dipping a finger in the bowl.

This year we waited to do cookie day until my sister arrived home from SC. Mom and I had an ambitious plan for baking. 5 different kinds. We made sugar cookies, peanut butter with Hershey kisses, snickerdoodles, cherry cheesecake cookies, and frosted brown sugar cookies. We got all five kinds made, including Kristin's (Stephen's girlfriend) variation on the peanut butter cookies...to use a peanut butter cup instead of a Hershey kiss. They were actually really good. The frosted brown sugar cookies, though....not so much. : )

Aunt Becca and Daniel


Uncle Chris (Rebecca's husband) and Brenna with a finished cookie

Daniel sneaking a cookie before they were iced

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toss those cookies over the moon for this cookie monster to try! What great pictures!!!
Suz

PS I like to take the peanut butter cookie dough ball and add a Snickers or Milky Way miniature inside before baking. YUMMY

Suz

Dena said...

What a fun tradition! Cute pictures.