Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Breaking the Fast

Last night we reached the end of our 10 days of fasting. Michael stopped at the grocery store on his way home from school and he got home before I did. When I walked in, he had dinner cooking on the stove and a fresh bouquet of flowers on the table. At each of our places he put a candy bar and we drank our sweet tea from wine glasses! He also bought dinner rolls to have with our soup. It was a great way to break the fast. We found that neither of us could eat more than one bowl of soup. (In the past we would've each had two.) I thoroughly enjoyed my bread with butter - boy did that taste good! I only ate about half of my candy bar, though. It really did taste good, but I found I didn't really need or want the whole thing. It's really hard to listen to my body. My head told me that I wanted more soup because it was really good and I should get some more. But my stomach was full enough. I didn't need another bowl. Instead I'll have that bowl for lunch today.

I'm glad we did the fast. I feel like we learned a lot about ourselves and about our cooking. We found some new recipes that we like and we accomplished something together. We're talking about doing it again in a couple of months - maybe to correspond with the end of my teaching on the book of Daniel. We'll see.

No comments: