Friday, November 11, 2011

The New Mixer

Making bread requires kneading, lots of kneading. And I am much too wimpy to be doing it all by hand! Since our family has a made a life long commitment to this whole grain bread making thing, I knew I would have to get a better mixer. Both more powerful and with a larger capacity. A little research led me to the Bosch Universal. 

At the blue light special price of $429.

I don't know about your family, but in ours we don't spend that kind of money lightly. In fact we usually agonize over whether or not we really need something that costs that much and it takes months to actually make the purchase. (Unless it's for the car and then you just have no choice, right?)

In this case, I already knew we needed it. Six loaves of bread dough at a time? Absolutely! Powerful enough to handle fresh milled whole grain flour? Definitely. But it still cost a lot of money. So I started saving. I sold loaves of bread and I worked for a friend at the state fair and in no time at all I was half way to my goal. In cash.

Then Bosch put the mixer on sale at $399, free shipping, with some extra add ons and I knew the time was now, money or not. So last week my brand new mixer arrived!

Doesn't it look so nice and fancy?
Of course we purchased it online, so I couldn't exactly take my jar of money all the way to Nebraska and plunk it down the counter.


In fact, truth be told, I was actually still about $100 short of the total price.


Which is why the credit card is so great, right? As of today, I'm still technically $75 short of covering the entire purchase with the cash from my bread money jar. But the mixer is here and I'm confident I'll pay the savings account back before Christmas.

And then Michael can't wait to take my money jar to the bank for a cash deposit.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's awesome! It's a total necessity and you can't put a price tag on the time it's going to save :)
We're doing the same for a juicer right now.

Laurie M. Lee said...

I want to talk to you about your mixer. Do you grind your own flour? I can't wait to hear about it. Great job saving! That's how things work in our house, as well.