Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Twirly Skirt

I finished a new rainbow twirly skirt for Brenna!



Here's the front:
And the back:

And one from the side:

I started out following a pattern from the Moda Bake Shop called the Twirly-Twirly Girly Skirt. It was written for about a 3 or 4 year old, so I did the math (included in the instructions) to make the skirt approximately a size 8/10. I bought a honey bun of Spring Fever by Me and My Sister Designs. I thought there would be plenty of fabric, however, it took almost the entire honey bun. If I were to do this again, though, I probably wouldn't put quite as many strips in it.

There is a waistband above the skirt that I did in white. Brenna's t-shirt is covering it. It was leftover fabric that I had in my drawer - but given an unlimited budget, I would have picked one of the designs from the skirt to do the top.

I did follow the pattern...until I got to the bottom. It's supposed to have a bottom skirt band, but I decided the skirt was already long enough. Instead, we went to JoAnn's and browsed through all the lace. Some looked really nice ... but rick rack was cheaper so that's what we settled on. Unfortunately, it didn't make it into our bag - and I didn't discover that until this morning. Michael graciously drove all the way down to the store to retrieve it for us this morning and I sewed it on this afternoon.

Turns out making a skirt is a bit expensive. This one cost me just under $30. But I love that it's completely unique! I never could have picked out such pretty colors, without using a designer's collection so I think the extra cost was worth it.

3 comments:

Heather said...

It's beautiful! Reagan saw it and said "can you make that for ME?" so thanks. a lot. :D
I agree about the fabric collections. I feel the same way about quilts. They cost more to use the precuts but it's so worth it!! :)
Look at you on a blog roll...

Ginger said...

LOVE the skirt! We're big fans of ric rac around here. Thanks for sharing - now enjoy that sprinkler time! Bring on the otter pops! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the twirly skirt ! I can just imagine Brenna jumping around and twirling in it. ;) Love the many colors. Looking forward to seeing Carrie in her twirly skirt. :)

Love
Suz