Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Hillbilly Horseshoes

Since we're on the topic of hillbillies, I suppose now would be a good time to mention corn hole again. Somehow I missed this phenomenon. While it's popular on college campuses and the small towns of eastern Ohio, it apparently skipped the young, suburban families of Richmond. As far as I can tell, the only corn hole set in my circle is in my brother's backyard, and belongs to one of his renters.

(I'd love to point out that his house is on southside so it makes sense that the hillbilly game would show up there....but I just posted a video of me rolling down a hill, so I think I'll keep my mouth shut.)

If you've never heard of corn hole, the simplest explanation I can give you is 'hillbilly horseshoes'. Instead of poles, there are slick angled boards, with a hole near the top. Instead of throwing horseshoes, you throw beanbags. Three points for the hole, one for landing on the board. The other team can cancel your points by throwing the same and you play to 21.

Here's a picture of some of my family playing on the Fourth.

It's so much harder than it looks. And if you think otherwise, I'll prove you wrong just as soon as I get my dad to help us make a set. 'Cause this house so needs a corn hole set! It'll help me channel my inner hillbilly.

One thing's for sure - I'll make certain my beanbags are filled properly and sewn well! Apparently a beanbag burst in my brother's back yard and he had bean plants growing everywhere!

1 comment:

TurtlesButterfly said...

I haven't ever played cornhole either. I know college kids love it though. It was just becoming popular when I was in college, but I didn't socialize enough to end up playing. One game that is popular on college campuses is beer pong.

I can just imagine you "channeling your inner hillbilly." LoL