Thursday, July 17, 2008

Escape

I used to wonder how parents could let a small child escape unnoticed out the door. I'd hear stories of a 2 or 3 year old who wandered away from the house and I'd think "how on earth did that happen? why don't they just lock the door?"

I no longer wonder. I am that parent.

Daniel hasn't gotten any further than the front porch because he's fascinated with the doorbell. Thank goodness. Just this morning, I was making spaghetti casserole in the kitchen, when the doorbell rang. Sure enough, it was Daniel.

"Doorbell, Mommy!"

"Get back in here, you little rascal!"

Our screen door stays locked, but he's had that figured out for a while. The only way to keep him in is to close the inside door and use the deadbolt. I would prefer to keep that door open because it lets in so much more light. For now, though, it'll have to stay closed...lest I make the evening news as one of "those" parents.

1 comment:

KarenW said...

Oh, scary! Perhaps you could put a hook on the top of the door so that he couldn't reach it.