Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Sewing Obsession

I have fleeting obsessions. Michael told me the other day that he thinks they are funny. (Thank goodness!) Basically, what happens is that I get all fired up about learning something new so I read all about it; then I go buy all the stuff I need to do it. I work on the new project every spare moment...until I get confused or frustrated or tired of it.

Sometimes I come back to a project. Sometimes it sits in the closet for years.

My latest obsession is sewing. The one before that was drawing. And the one before that was aprons. I still have two aprons to make. My new drawing kit is upstairs in my nightstand. I'm also easily drawn into anything related to cake decorating, baking, photography, and scrap booking. On the other hand, I have the remnants of my glass painting, cross stitching, knitting, and photo crafts phases gathering dust in various closets and shelves around the house.

Sewing comes and goes regularly for me. I get all inspired so I jump into projects, but I just as easily get stuck and quit. Last summer I tried to make a sundress for Brenna from a pattern. I'm stuck at the zipper. I can't figure out how to sew it in right so it just sits on my sewing desk. Besides that, it's a little big and the ribbon across the waist sags. Oh and the straps don't quite look right, either.

A few months ago, I was reading a blog that's not on my daily list and I saw an adorable puppet theater. The pattern came from a book that got good ratings on Amazon so I bought the book and made a theater too. It was so easy that I picked another project. A tote bag.


I made it as gift for my sister, who kept our kids for two days while Michael and I were away for our anniversary. The material came from a dress someone at our old church had given me. At least she said it was a dress. Her sister had given it to her, and neither one of us could figure out how you were supposed to wear it. Anyway, I decided it was time to cut that thing up and make something else out of it.

Though smaller than I imagined, the bag turned out quite well. There's even a pocket on the inside. The design is on both the front and the back. I was pretty excited. Best of all, it will likely NEVER fall apart. That's because yours truly bought UPHOLSTERY thread to sew the light, silky dress material into a tote bag. Lesson learned the hard way. As usual.

Anyway, in true Julie fashion, the new book is slowly being buried under another project. I wanted to make something else, but you had to increase the pattern 135%. Uh hmmm..... Just inconvenient enough to leave it for another day.

2 comments:

gail said...

i can soooooooooooooo relate! i have a ton of unfinished projects laying around the house. my latest is a purse i can't quite figure out how to finish. i blame it on the directions (hee hee).

now i'm workng on pants for joe. i really dont want to get stuck cuz he really needs more pants.

Dena said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one!