Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Has It Been Ten Years?

February 7, 1998.

Ten years ago today Michael asked me to marry him. Ten years! It's hard to believe so much time has passed. In just a few weeks we'll celebrate our ninth wedding anniversary. The time has gone so fast, yet it feels like we've been together always.

In 1998, February 7 was a Saturday. Michael was in his first year of teaching music and I was still in college. My parents didn't allow me to have my car at school so Michael would drive down to see me just about every other weekend. On this particular weekend he arrived on Friday evening. He spent the night with our friends Chris and Brian, where I'm told he spilled the beans about his plans for the next day and showed off the ring.



On Saturday, we went for a walk around the campus. One of the quirky things we enjoyed doing together was answering get-to-know-you-better type questions. We would often include them in our letters or give answers on the phone. Someone lent us a whole book of questions to ask before you get married and we thoroughly enjoyed talking our way through it. Because of this, I didn't suspect a thing when he handed me a letter with a list of questions for us answer as we walked.

We circled the whole campus before we finished the questions. I suggested we head back to my dorm, but Michael wanted to walk up to the education building. (It has since been demolished. You can click on the picture for more details.) It was a little chilly and I think he had to insist. We finished the questions just as we got to the steps. Michael said he had another note for me, and I remember being a little confused. He handed me a folded piece of paper with the following written on it:

I have another question I have to ask you. Will you continue to love me, no matter what--in good times and in bad, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health for the rest of our lives until death do us part? I guess what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is....


When I looked up from reading, he was down on one knee with an open jewelry box in his hand. He finished the dot, dot, dot with "Will you marry me?" The rest of the day is pretty much a blur. I know I said yes and we returned to campus to make some phone calls. Many of my friends had already heard, but they were excited for us just the same.

I was so happy that day. I knew our engagement would be a difficult time that would test us tremendously, but I also knew that the marriage would be worth every bit of the struggle. And I was so right. When I said yes that day, we entered into a commitment that takes us through the good and the bad. Sometimes the bad is overwhelming. Sometimes the good is deafening. Always the commitment is solid.

To help us celebrate today, why don't you and your husband/wife spend some time answering some of the questions below. It'll be fun and who knows...you might learn something new!

1. What political figure, alive or dead, would you most like to meet?
2. How do you eat an Oreo?
3. When was one time in your life that you felt all alone?
4. What do you treasure most about our relationship?
5. What part of a banana split best represents you?
6. In what ways are you like your mom? your dad?
7. On what magazine are you most likely to end up on the cover?
8. Name one place you would like to visit before you die.
9. Besides me, who is your closest friend?
10. How many keys are on your key ring and what are they for?

2 comments:

Dena said...

Loved this post.
Happy Anniversary to you both!!!
We'll be using those questions tonight, thanks.
Dena

Pfingston said...

Awww!
Congradulations and happy anniversary!
My hubby is not here at the moment, but this sure looks like a fun thing to do . .
thanks for the idea!