Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Wait Is Over - Part 3

Ok. Hopefully this should be the end of the story. Part 2 was the background of the previous 6 months or so. The second interview for the part time job we'd already decided against accepting was set for Wednesday, August 8.

On the Saturday evening prior to the interview, Michael and I sat on the floor in our kitchen (no idea why the kitchen floor) talking about the interview situations. At the beginning of the summer we'd been sure God had something really big for us, and we thought it was moving to a full time music pastor position. Now we were more confused than ever. Somehow the conversation turned to our current church and we came to the sad conclusion that we were only staying on there because we needed the job to supplement Michael's salary as a teacher. I remember Michael saying right then that we needed to stop talking and pray. So we asked God for wisdom to help us make good and right decisions. Within 10 minutes of the Amen, we'd decided it was time to resign - no matter how tight it made the budget. I can't even begin to explain how good that felt.

That decision was made on Saturday night. On Tuesday, I was asked to work up to two Saturdays a month at the office I'd been working in. I also received an email that day from a friend asking me watch her baby once a week. Wednesday Michael was accepted to an allergy study - with pay! Talk about confirmation all over the place! We were just amazed. Everything was going to be ok. Still tight, but we knew we could make it.

Wednesday night Michael went to the second interview, which was to lead their band practice so that they could observe him in action. I was absolutely shocked and confused when he got home and said he'd been offered the job and would like to take it. We talked it through for hours. But the bottom line was he felt the position was a perfect fit for him. And it probably is. I, on the other hand, wasn't sure how this particular church was going to work out for the rest of the family. Plus, I didn't even know what a Presbyterian believed. I've been Evangelical Friends, Assembly of God, Baptist, a little Methodist, and Michael was raised Catholic, but I didn't know anything about Presbyterians. This was an Ephesians 5:22 situation. "Wives submit to your husbands as unto the Lord." I'd spoken my mind. Shared my concerns. And now it was time to submit.

On Friday, just 6 days after we made the scary to decision to resign with no certain way to replace the income, Michael accepted the new part time position. It pays more than the last church, and comes with many a blessing, including a music librarian who copies and keeps track of all the music for him. This decision has been confirmed and affirmed over and over again through the past three or four weeks. We are where we are supposed to be. No doubts.

So the wait is over. Apparently we weren't waiting for what we thought we were waiting for. The answer to full time music ministry is 'Not Yet', I guess. But God sees what I can't, and He knows where He needs Michael to best use and develop the gifts He gave him. I am quite sure he's going to grow by leaps and bounds, being right where God wants him.

This coming Sunday is our first Sunday at the new church. Please pray for us. Like anyone would be, we are nervous. We have lots of new people to meet and new ways to learn. It's a bigger church so we'll need to discern where to get involved in church life. Brenna(4) is more emotional and understands more than I expected so I want to be especially sensitive to her needs during this transition. And finally, as one friend said, we have some healing to do as well. Our spirits need a bit of gentle rejuvenation.

Wow. And I thought I was going to tell this story in one post! It's been so hard not blog about this as it happened, but it was obviously much too sensitive at the time to broadcast online. It still is, to some degree, but we feel that since he is no longer employed at the other church, it's ok for me to write about it. And by the way, we chose to leave the other church without burning any bridges. It really wasn't all that hard to take the high road. And we're very glad we did.

1 comment:

Dena said...

Wow, I love the way God provided for you guys as you followed where He led. I can just imagine how difficult these changes must be, given all of the circumstances. I'll be praying esp. for Brenna and that she will quickly find some buddies and begin to feel at home at her new church.
My husband says he'd like to try a Presby. church if we ever move. Apparently there are 2 seperate kinds of Presby. Theologically, we allign with the more conservative one.
One of our favorite pastors to listen to is a Presby. pastor in Manhatten, Tim Keller. Love him! Praying blessings for your family in your new phase of life!
Dena