Friday, June 01, 2007

Thoughts on the Birthday Boy

A year ago today I was laying in a bed at the hospital looking at our new baby boy. We were so surprised to have a boy and I was calling everyone I knew. I remember what a crazy night it had been. I'd been to the doctor the day before and was already 5 centimeters dilated. Normally, they said, they would send me directly over to labor and delivery to be induced. But labor and delivery was full. So I went home instead.

We ordered a spicy Papa John's pizza for dinner and went for a walk. Around 9 I started feeling contractions, but they didn't hurt at all. My mom convinced me to call the doctor and we arrived at the hospital around 10:30. I didn't even take my pillow and suitcase inside, because I fully expected them to say this was false labor and send me home! Instead they started monitoring the contractions and gave me something to help me sleep.

At 3:30 AM I was jolted awake by a good strong, and painful, contraction! Daniel was born about 6:30. I remember Michael's shock and emotional announcement that it was a boy! My dad was the first to arrive at the hospital that morning. He got to hold Daniel in the delivery room, before I was moved to recovery.

I don't remember much about the rest of the day. But it's hard to believe that it was a whole year ago. In such a short time he's learned to smile, to laugh, to sit up, to roll over, to giggle, to feed himself, to stand up, to say 'mama' and 'dada' and 'nenna', and so much more. It went so fast. Maybe too fast. I determined after Brenna that I would cherish the next one more because it seemed I didn't do that enough with her. I don't think it worked. No matter how much time I spend with either of them, the time still flies by. I still find myself here at his first birthday wishin' for more of that first year.

But there's so much future to look forward to as well. I know that he'll be walking soon. And talking. And making us laugh. And growing into a cute little toddler. Today we'll celebrate the wonderful memories of the last year, and anticipate with joy the exciting days to come!

So happy birthday Little Guy. We love you and all the blessings you are to our family!


No comments: