Wednesday, February 07, 2007

songwriting blues

"Did you ever have a time when you couldn't make a rhyme?" goes the last part of the kid's song "Down by the Bay". I am in a glut, or a rut, or whatever you call it. I like writing music and especially songs for worship, but I feel all dried out (like the barren winter cold). It seems like inspiration comes in short spurts for me. Right now, I don't even have the energy to try and write a song. It all seems too hard.
But wait, what if the purpose of me sitting down to write a song is not for the finished product, but something much greater? The art of discipline? The process of writing?? Could that be reason enough for me to continue?
Who am I writing the music for anyhow? If it's just for me, then I have no reason to keep going, but if it is for something greater than me then I have a higher calling, a heavenly responsibility, an earthly mission to bring something sacred to the page. I can't do this on my own. God give me persistence and vision for something greater than me!

Michael

No comments: