I'm not much for New Years Resolutions. We've started all kinds of 'traditions' in Januarys past that fizzled after a year or two. I remember choosing a word for the year. That was fun until we forgot all about it by February. We tried making some kind of memory scrapbook of the previous year. Or at least talking about our memories from the previous year. Dud. Sometimes the kids come home from school with resolutions. Things like 'play outside more' or 'eat'.
So I just kind of quit making a big deal out of the new year. We have fun on New Years Eve together and anyone who can is welcome to stay up till midnight. But other than that, we just keep movin' along.
Except the other day I saw a fb post where someone said she meant to learn how to make a pie crust last year and never got around to it. She was bumping the challenge to 2012. And I got to thinking that maybe I should take on a few challenges. A few, mind you.
So here's my 2012 list of challenges. Probably here to be cut and pasted to 2013, but here nonetheless.
1. Make bread with other grains - like oatmeal and spelt
2. Train baby #4 to sleep through the night. (If this one has to be repeated to 2013, I will be in the looney bin.)
3. Finish at least two of the quilts I have in progress. (Dare I admit that there are five at quilt-top completion or further?)
4. Hang some pictures on the walls of this house (that's going to mean getting pictures of Carrie in some form other than jpg.)
5. Keep sorting and sending stuff out to Goodwill, yard sales, and the trash. (less, less, less)
6. Get to know at least one of my neighbors.
7. Wherever I am, I want to work on being all there.
Seven seems like a good place to stop. I may be crazy taking on a 'be all there' challenge with a newborn coming, but I think it's appropriate. I've got to stay in the moment for a lot of reasons this year, as I have much to cherish.
2012, I think we're now ready to roll.