Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Breaking Free of Breaking Free

There's always a bittersweet feeling when a Bible study comes to an end. This week our Breaking Free study met for the last time. (by Beth Moore) It's been a lot of work and a long commitment. The study is designed to last 10 weeks, but we didn't feel we could accomplish a week's worth of work in one week. So instead, we prepared our lesson on the first week and watched the video teaching on the second.

That created a 20 week Bible study. Throw in three weeks at Christmas, a snow day, and spring break for private schools and we managed to stretch it out for six months. That's a long time to stick with a study.

This was my third time through Breaking Free, but the first time I've seen the videos. It was also the first time I've done the study with other people. I found that I was a bit less open with the study this time around. Some of that may be because I don't have as much time to pour into the work, now that there are two younguns around. And some of it may have been an unconscious pulling back because I didn't know the other ladies as well. Regardless, there were still many, many powerful moments and challenges.

We ended our study with some big laughs! Chonda Pierce style. That girl is funny. We laughed till our cheeks hurt. I already knew the punchlines and it still cracked me up. The best was a line at the end, when she said something like, "We're gonna scare the Presbyterians, but can ya'll just shout out the name of Jesus?" I was afraid they were gonna lose it laughing. After all the great stories and words of wisdom, they weren't expecting to get picked on a little.

It's nice to have a break from such intense study, but it won't be long before I'm itchin' to start a new one. I turned down the request to lead this group in a short summer study and/or to do one in the fall. I hope they still do something, but if there's one thing I've learned the hard way it's that I must. must. must. focus only on my home during the first six months of a new baby. Maybe even a year. I always think I can handle more than I should and it becomes a burden rather than a ministry. Not this time. I'm shuttin' down for Fall '09!

But if I were going to do a new study....I'd want to do Esther. :)

No comments: