Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Wait Is Over - Part 1

This post has been simmering in my mind for some time. I wanted to write it out last week, but Michael asked me to wait until Sunday had passed. That request will make sense as you read.

In July I wrote that we were waiting for something. You can read about it here. About three weeks ago we got our answer. In May Michael applied for a full time music ministry position. Both of us were very excited about the possibilities and we thought the process would play itself out in about 3 or 4 weeks.

It didn't.

By the middle of July we still had not heard anything and every attempt to get in touch with our contact person seemed to be ignored. Confusion and disappointment mixed with a lingering hope as we left for vacation. As a last attempt to get information, Michael sent the church an email to let them know he had applied at other places would appreciate some idea of where they were in their hiring process. The response was disappointing. They had divided the position into two and hired one person already. In addition they were interning someone who might be offered the other position. More importantly for us, though, the jobs they had created no longer fit Michael's understanding of what he had interviewed for. That left us back to square one and still waiting.

Somewhat unsure and with the options dwindling, Michael and I decided he should go ahead with Part Two of the interview at an older Presbyterian Church. Neither of us were under any illusion that he would take the job. It was just for practice. The first interview had gone well, but it was a part-time position to take on a brand new contemporary service. An attempt to revive an older church. An attempt to reach out to the younger generation before it was too late. So to gain a little confidence, Michael scheduled the second interview for Wednesday August 8.

2 comments:

Dena said...

Oh, I hope part 2 comes soon, I'll be checking back!
One question, was he a music minister before all of this, or was this a career change for him?

We are in the process of 'waiting' for something right now. Waiting is so tough at times, but I do notice it's when some of my biggest times of growth take place.

I'll be 'waiting' for part 2!
Dena

Peapod Four said...

I got part 2 up...but I have so much more to say that I have to do a part 3 too!

Michael is an elementary school music teacher full-time. We were hoping to make the career change, but that didn't happen.

Julie