Thursday, June 21, 2007

Spring Reading Thing Finale


The Spring Reading Challenge has ended and I didn't exactly finish. But I'm not surprised either. I did think my list was a bit over-ambitious. Still, I think I did pretty well and I know I'll finish the last book ... someday!

Katrina listed the following questions as a wrap up to the challenge:

  • What was the best book you read this spring?
Black, Red, and White - The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker
Dekker is one of my favorite authors and this series did not disappoint!
  • Did you try out a new author this spring? If so, which one, and will you be reading that author again?
I stuck with what I knew.
  • If there were books you didn't finish, tell us why. Did you run out of time? Realize those books weren't worth it?
I barely started Streams of Living Water by Richard Foster. I knew it would take me a long time to read this book (the last one I read by him took me an entire year), but I thought I'd get a little further than I did. Reading a book by Foster takes a lot of concentration and I usually take notes to help me stay focused. I'll continue to work my way through this one all summer, I'm sure!
  • What did you learn -- about anything -- through this challenge? Maybe you learned something about yourself or your reading style, maybe you learned not to pick so many nonfiction books for a challenge, maybe you learned something from a book you read. Whatever it is, share!
Can We Do That? by Ed Young and Andy Stanley
I learned all kinds of things from this book. There were tons of ideas and suggestions for creatively running a church. Though it is written by pastors of very large churches, I found that many of the ideas could be used in our small church as well.

Discover Your Child's Learning Style
I read this book because I find the learning styles interesting and because I wanted to understand what works for Brenna. She is such a quick learner and has such a love for learning, that I wanted to make sure I foster that. Of course, in the process I learned a little about myself and a little about Michael too. One thing thing I really enjoyed, was seeing which characteristics Brenna received from me (where she's just like her mother!), which ones she got from Michael (where she's just like her father!), and which ones God gave just to her.

Daniel by Beth Moore
This book has been life changing for me. And I do not say that lightly. I couldn't even begin to recount all the things I've learned from doing this study. If you EVER have the opportunity to do this Bible study or even to watch the videos, it is well worth the time. I am different because I did this Bible study. God has done some amazing work in me.
  • What was the best part of the Spring Reading Thing?
I enjoyed the encouragement I got in my comments at the beginning.
  • Would you be interested in participating in another reading challenge this fall?
Absolutely!

7 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

So glad you liked the trilogy -- those were some of my favorites! And yes, Foster definitely takes some time and concentration. Thanks for being part of the challenge. Looking forward to seeing you again for the fall challenge!

Christi said...

Great job on your challenge. I love Beth Moore - Daniel is next on my list.

BTW, love, love, love your blog title and description!

Anonymous said...

I loved Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy, too. And I loved your description of your family in your header!

Unknown said...

I agree about the Daniel study. It was an eye-opener and I learned more about the history/prophecy as well.

Bookfool said...

The Daniel Bible study was one of my favorites, also. Beth Moore always has a way of making the Bible more interesting and comprehensible, but I thought Daniel was particularly surprising.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about that trilogy! Thanks for giving me the encouragement to try it. I am adding it to my list. Have a great day!

Nise' said...

I am reading my first Ted Dekker book THr3e! So far, loving it! Have the trilogy on my TBR list. I am looking forward to the Daniel Bible Study by Beth Moore!