Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Question on Immigration

Before I ask this question, I should point out that I have not followed the debate on immigration at all. I do not know the pros and cons of the current bill, nor have I read it. I only became mildly interested in the topic last night, as I listened to Sean Hannity. He asked a question that I'd like to paraphrase and repeat.

How is allowing a bunch of people, who defied our laws and came here illegally, to be put on a track to citizenship in any way beneficial to our country?

Honestly. It sounds lazy to me. As a parent, I know that it's easier to sit on the couch and either ignore Daniel smacking the tv with a lego or repeatedly tell him to get down. Neither works. I have to get off my bum and take care of the problem. He has to learn the rules. It seems to me that it's easier to just let all these people stay here. We'll just put them on a track to citizenship and make them legal. The problem is that they don't learn the rules and we hurt ourselves further down the line. Our laws are meant to be obeyed and we should enforce them, even when it's hard. Even when it means getting up and doing something about it. If we take this easy route, we only give our trouble a new name, or perhaps many new names. We won't have stopped the actual problem...people entering the country illegally.

Some might ask, is there a place for mercy? I think so. But not for everyone and not for people who are sneaking around avoiding the law. Mercy should be granted appropriately to those who deserve it. And that might be a little arbitrary.

I really think, if you came here illegally, you should have to apply for legal status. Just like all the others who are on waiting lists to enter this country. Where you are and what you do while you wait for that process to play out, isn't something I've figured out in my head just yet. (I did, after all, just starting thinking on this last night.)

Since I am no longer teaching government, and neither Brenna nor Daniel have any idea what immigration is, this will probably be the extent of the time I spend thinking about the immigration issue. Once I hit the 'publish post' button, I'll be back to thinking on such important topics as what to fix for lunch and whether or not Brenna has watched too much tv today.

No comments: