Monday, April 23, 2007

It's After Midnight

Yes, it's after midnight. Actually, it's 12:53 by the clock at the bottom of the screen. I couldn't sleep.

It could be the pizza I ate for dinner. It could be the 20 oz. coke I drank with my pizza. It could the book I finished right before bed. It could be the 2 hour nap I took this afternoon.

But still, I am awake. I went to bed once. It was about 10:45. I felt very tired as I snuggled down under the covers. I usually sleep on my right side and hold a corner of the blanket under my chin. (I don't know why...I just do.) After a lot of tossing and turning, I did eventually fall into some kind of restless sleep.

But then I dreamed.

I was in a minivan. My dad was driving. Michael and I were in the back.

(I am using the laptop in the closet right now so I won't wake Michael up. Wouldn't you know I had to sneeze! I tried to stop it, but it happened anyhow and sounded like a kid blowing a short forceful raspberry!)

So back to the minivan. We driving down a two and sometimes three lane road and I was finding all sorts of smaller quiet animals in this basket purse of Brenna's. For some reason I was ok with that until I discovered the squirrel. Then I panicked. It looked at me with it's paws on the sides of the basket and it's head stretched toward mine. I was so afraid it was going to jump at me.

I tried to scream but my voice was low and thick. I couldn't rouse Michael's attention. Finally I was able to shout "There's a squirrel in the car!" and slam the lid on the purse. (In real life, her basket purse doesn't have a lid, but it sure was convenient in the dream.) I dropped the purse to the ground and we could hear the squirrel throwing itself around inside. My dad kept looking back over his shoulder to see what was going on, and decided to pull over so we could let it out.

I got in a position where I could hold the lid shut with my foot and we heard a sound like a twig snap and then the squirrel began to cry. It was as loud and as long as a baby cry. I wondered if I'd broken it's paw or something.

And then I woke up.

I'm still not tired.

No comments: