Monday, April 09, 2007

Book Number One: Complete


I did it! I read a book. I think it's the first book I've read from start to finish in ... (still thinking....hang on....) more than a year and a half?? Wow! That surprises even me. I used to be an insatiable bookworm. I have memories of hiding in my room reading when I was supposed to be doing my chores. Or using a flashlight to read underneath the blankets when I was supposed to sleeping. My dad used to have force me to play outside on nice days because I would rather be upstairs reading a book. I have loved books for as far back as I can remember.

I still love books. There's a thrill that runs through me when I have a brand new book in my hands. One that no one else has read. I love the stiffness of the cover and smell of the pages. The anticipation of the story or of new things to discover is tantalizing to me. I can't wait to get started.

Some women like clothes or shoes. I like books. Thankfully I have a husband who understands that. Books are #2 on his list. (All things music and guitar related are first.) At Christmastime, when he brings home the gifts his students have brought, we get the most excited over the Barnes and Noble gift cards.

It seems we have passed this passion on to Brenna. My aunt is a kindergarten teacher and has filled Brenna's bookshelves with every kind of story a kid could want. I believe Brenna has read or heard every single one of them. I often find her on her bed in the morning or after rest time surrounded by 8-10 books she's been reading. In a box for Easter, my aunt sent her an Emeril Lagasse cookbook for kids . She read the ingredient lists and recipe directions to my mom for several of the recipes. Last night my dad brought out a box of magazines about birds and wildlife. He told her she could take them home or keep them there to look at when she visits. She brought them home. But she was already reading me part of an article about a yellow bird before we ever left their house. The girl reads everything. If you don't want her to know about something, don't leave it out on your dining room table!

I guess I'll post my "book report" tomorrow. I got a little chatty on the reading topic....guess it really is a passion, huh?

No comments: