Wednesday, March 21, 2007

News Bits

A couple of news bits today:

It's official! The Queen of England is coming to Virginia. The Richmond Times Dispatch is reporting that she and Prince Phillip will be coming in May to help us celebrate the 400th anniversary of Jamestown. This celebration is apparently an 18 month long event with hundreds of projects and programs. (I should clarify, here, that the Queen is only coming for two days.) Eighteen months seems like a long time to me.


A mysterious rash is closing schools in Beloit, Ohio. According to the Salem News, an elementary and middle school complex has been shut down while officials from the state EPA and Health Department attempt to find the cause of the rash. While all of this is frightening at first, doctors have said that the rash is not serious and it does respond to topical treatments. Still, no one knows what it is exactly, nor what is causing it. I have cousins who attend those schools, but they do not have the rash. I suspect they are enjoying the days off!


Virginia has upped the age requirement for carseats. Children must be in a carseat until age 8. Governor Kaine has signed the bill into law as a secondary offense. I know it's all about safety, but those carseats drive me crazy! I can't take anyone else in my car because there's not enough room between the two carseats. (And I am NOT buying a minivan.) Plus, carseats look so uncomfortable to me. When we take long trips, I feel so bad for my kids. They both fall asleep in such awkward positions, and there is so little padding on the seats. Can you imagine riding eight hours with your shoulders strapped tight to the back of your seat?


Elliott Yamin, of last season's American Idol, has just released his new album. He's from Richmond so he's getting a lot of publicity around here. I hope the album does well.

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Hi There !

It looks like you must live in Virginia which is our family's favorite place to go. We live in Canada and people look at us strangely when we say we are going there (again!) However, we have converted a few who have also developed a love for the area.

We are there at least once a year - in fact I buy all my homeschool books there at a great used bookstore.

BTW - Thanks for the link to my site...glad you enjoyed the laugh... I realized Sanjaya's hairdooo looks just like the "do's" my 9 & 10 year olds create on their "My Little Ponies" - it musta been to get the girls!

Cheryl

cheryl said...

Hi There !

It looks like you must live in Virginia which is our family's favorite place to go. We live in Canada and people look at us strangely when we say we are going there (again!) However, we have converted a few who have also developed a love for the area.

We are there at least once a year - in fact I buy all my homeschool books there at a great used bookstore.

BTW - Thanks for the link to my site...glad you enjoyed the laugh... I realized Sanjaya's hairdooo looks just like the "do's" my 9 & 10 year olds create on their "My Little Ponies" - it musta been to get the girls!

Cheryl